The Commission aims to inform on the theology, spirituality and practice of Justice & Peace throughout the Birmingham Roman Catholic Archdiocese and provide the Archbishop with advice when required in matters regarding Justice & Peace.
The Commission particularly encourages parishes and schools to get involved in the Justice & Peace movement. It covers areas as diverse as global issues such as cancelling the debts of the world's poorest countries; the International Peace movement; environmental issues; housing; homelessness; supporting refugees and asylum seekers and human rights.
Within this site you can find information about important dates within the Justice & Peace year, links to other agencies involved with Justice & Peace and resources to download to help in your existing or new Justice & Peace activities.
September 1st - October 4th
In 2015 Pope Francis designated 1 September as a World Day of Prayer for the Care of Creation in the Catholic Church. In fact, he encourages Creation Time to be celebrated in the Church between 1 September and 4 October, as it is in other Christian Churches.
Download resources for Creation Time to celebrate this period in your own church here.
A Special Prayer Vigil for Peace Weds 20th Sept 7.30pm
St Mary’s Church St Mary’s Row Moseley B13 - Follow link for more information
PREPARING FOR PRAYER AND ACTION ON CREATION CARE
Resources are now available for
The Day of Prayer for Care of Creation (Friday 1 September 2017) and Creation Time, which runs to the Feast of St Francis
(1 September – 4 October). They include sample prayer services, posters and video material. During this time Christians will be lifting up the “cry of the earth and the cry of the poor” (Laudato Si’ 49). From the Amazon to the Philippines and countless places in between, there will be services and events to showcase how Christians are coming together to pray for and care for creation.
● The Columban JPIC team has pulled together resources which can be downloaded at: www.columbans.co.uk/creation-time/
● Background to the World Day of Prayer for Care of Creation, which was initiated by Pope Francis two years ago, at http://catholicclimatemovement.global/world-day-of-prayer/ https://catholicclimatemovement.global/laudatosi/
● Creation Time or the Season of Creation is promoted by the Global Catholic Climate Movement, the Pope’s Worldwide Prayer Network, the World Council of Churches, Anglican Communion Environmental Network, ACT Alliance and GreenFaith. The following website contains information and photos of events from Creation Time 2016 held in 55 countries. Also, videos of Church leaders, including Pope Francis, promoting Care for Creation. The Prayer resources section contains materials produced by the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace, the Franciscans and others. http://seasonofcreation.org/
● Laudato Si’ weekly quotes for parish newsletters, produced by Westminster Justice and Peace Commission at: https://westminsterjp.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/lsi-quotes.pdf
● Posters are now available to download at: www.justice-and-peace.org.uk
Statements by the Columban Justice Peace and Integrity of Creation team added to our [Position Statements] page
Archbishop Nichols' "No To Racism...."
Catholic Association for Racial Justice "Supporting One Another"
Friday November 10th, 2017. "The Bundle", a play about asylum seekers, will be performed by Journeyman Theatre at 7:30 p.m. at the Quaker Meeting House in Chapel Ash, Wolverhampton. "The true story of a woman fleeing domestic violence and servitude in Chechyna, endorsed by the state there, coupled with the 'hostile environment' being created in the UK by our government". Free entry, with a collection for the local Quaker asylum seekers support fund. Click HERE for map. Click HERE for website.
The Birmingham Diocesan Justice and Peace Commission is funded by the Roman Catholic Archdioces of Birmingham and the Catholic Agency for Overseas Development (CAFOD) and is a member of the Caritas - Archdiocese of Birmingham Network
Birmingham RC Diocesan Justice and Peace Commission 2015